Now, I arrived at this realization in a very circuitous way. First I saw a recipe on pinterest for breakfast cake and I tried it. Then I cleaned the pan. Then I mentioned this to a friend and she said, "Yes, I often make my muffin recipes in a cake pan because it's easier to clean up." And I thought, "Brilliant! It was definitely easier to clean up." And there you have it. Would I have arrived at this conclusion on my own? I'm not at all sure I would have. But there it is. I am now a big fan of breakfast cake.
Here's the one we made this week--the pinterest recipe from Meal Makeover Moms' Kitchen with lots of changes:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup quick cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh fruit
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly coat a 9-inch round cake pan with shortening. Dust with flour and set aside.
2. Whisk together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, quick cooking oats, flax seed, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, 1/2 cup of sugar, and the canola oil until well blended. Whisk in the milk, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla extract.
4. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Arrange the fruit evenly over the top, and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of white sugar.
5. Bake 22 to 25 minutes, or until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and cool (or serve while it’s still warm).
I'm thinking that this particular cake might be much better if I subbed the oil for applesauce, used 1 teaspoon of cinnamon instead of the lemon juice and zest and used chopped apples for the fruit. That's how I'm going to try it next. And I plan to try my double chocolate flax seed muffins as a cake as well. Yum!