Here's a list of ideas to hold a family luau! Why not make tonight special?
flower punch to punch out 12 to 15 flowers per family member. Wrap masking tape tightly around one end of a piece of string. String a piece of straw, a bead, a flower (and repeat) onto your lei until it reaches the desired length.
2. Make grass skirts: Fold long sheets of paper in half. Staple foam paper cut into a belt to the folded end. Cut strips into the paper up to the belt. Wrap around your waist and staple the foam belt to itself to make it stay.
3. Put on your lei and grass skirt and do a little hula dancing! (See #6 for music.)
4. Print and color coloring sheets.
5. Look at pictures of Hawaii and read about it in some books like these:
Hawaii: A Pictorial Celebration
A is for Aloha: A Hawaii Alphabet
High Tide in Hawaii (Magic Tree House 28)
Good Night Hawaii (Good Night Our World series)
6. Listen to Hawaiian music! This week at ballet camp we've listened to a little Michael Franti & Spearhead (The Sound of Sunshine) and Jack Johnson (Better Together). I also love the Keiki Calabash cd for kids. Or just check out this Hawaiian Luau Party Music: Traditional Music of Hawaii for a little easy listening island music.
8. Get out the hula hoops and play some of these games.
See HERE for more luau games and activities.
Have a family fun night tonight!
I'm linking up with some great parties here!