The Ten Best Made at Home Dinners According to the Hubby and the Kids:
It's amazing how many of these dinners are favorites of both the hubby and the kids! Here goes:
10. Sandwiches--Besides me, the whole family prefers simple meals. I often try to jazz up these meals by cutting the sandwiches in cool shapes for the kiddos or frying an egg to add to the hubby's grilled cheese. They appreciate these touches (I think), but really, they are fine with just a pb & j or a simple meat, cheese, and mayo!
8. Macaroni and cheese and hotdogs--I think this is quite sad, but it's so true. The hubby thanks me when I make boxed mac and cheese and hot dogs! I make a mean homemade mac and cheese which I like a lot better, but if I'm being honest, the hubby and kids would just as well have the box!
7. Grits casserole--I use the recipe on the side of the Jimmy Dean package of grits and boy is it YUM! The only thing I change is that I don't put any cheese on top, I just put the extra cheese in the body of the casserole. This is the oldest's favorite and everyone else eats it just fine. (And it's one of my favorites too!)
6. Green Salad (Okay, just kidding, that would be on my list but it really doesn't show up on theirs!) Tuna Salad--this is just the tuna, chopped pickles, chopped boiled eggs, mayo and mustard plain old tuna salad, but they all like it, so I make it. I usually make deviled eggs to go with it, and those get devoured as well.
5. Cheeseburger pie is kind of my "signature meal." It's a great one to take when you're making a meal for another family because it uses a prepared pie shell in its own foil pan. The kids have to be encouraged to eat this one, but the hubby likes it a lot.
3. Crock pot roast--the kiddos are with me in not being absolutely in love with the veggies that go with this, but the potatoes and the carrots are part of the comfort food for the hubby, and of course, everyone gobbles up the meat.
2. Any kind of baked meat (pork, beef, chicken), frozen green beans/broccoli (cooked with lots of salt and butter), and homemade rolls or bread. The boy cracks us all up by asking for more "chicken" about a hundred times during this meal--no matter which kind of meat it is.
If there were 11, I would definitely add my homemade pizza in there somewhere.
So there you have it! I am sure that if the hubby and kids were to write this list it might have other things (like frozen pizzas, etc) on it, but this is as honest as I can bear to be!